Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Are You Safe?

I woke up on Sunday morning to a flat rear tire. Not fun. So I called up the all-time best car insurance company in the world, USAA and had their roadside assistance come on out and fix it. When the call connected, before I could get any words out of my mouth, I was asked, “Are you safe?”
Sure they were going to come fix my tire. Sure it was their job. But they were concerned about my personal safety first and foremost. This is a huge insurance company, mind you.
Needless to say, they continue to impress me.
But it got me thinking about how it’s those unexpected surprises that can really go beyond what a great identity is all about. Everyone hangs their hat (or at least tries to) on customer service. And the words have just about lost all meaning. Greg Cordell once spoke to us about the Reward part of FIRE (Fascinate, Inspire, Reward and Engage) and how sometimes the best reward – and the simplest – you can ever give you customers is a smile. Maybe today is the day that you try to go beyond the status quo and reward someone you come into contact with for absolutely to reason other than they are your customer.

Read Post Here.